HEADER BLOG TITLE

31/01/2014

Patchwork blanket hanging from the hooks



This year has certainly kicked off with a big bang and I can't believe how busy January has been!  
I just crossed out this coming Monday morning in my diary and will either sleep in or spend the morning at the beauty parlour, depending on whether I can actually haul myself out of bed for a pampering session.  

We have been shopping (cardigans, shrugs and leggings to transform our minis and sleeveless tops since the official dress code in Qatar requires shoulders and knees to be covered) and entertaining relocation agents; applied for all sorts of clearance certificates and submitted those to Foreign Affairs for Legalisation after the Attorney took it via the High Court for Authentication.  A final stamp from the Embassy and The Husband's work visa is in place and he is off to Qatar tomorrow.  Let's hope that they don't take their sweet time processing our residency permits since we will only join him after all of those are in place. 

The fight to locate a misplaced/missing unabridged birth certificate here at Home affairs is also in full swing.  For goodness sake, when will this country's Home Affairs Department actually get their own affairs in order? The absence of proper systems and the volume of missing documentation boggles the mind. We just laugh, it is part of the experience of living the way we do.


Meanwhile I take time out at night to work on my patchwork crochet blanket. This is a sneak peek of the squares and colours, but you might be interested in knowing that I am also using stronger colours such as red and purple in the design. I have a soft spot for the simplicity of single crochet stitches and the blanket consists of 100 squares all hooked in the same pattern. Single crochet also seems to be a clever solution to a yarn that splits just by the eye staring at it.  I am using Reaasah by Kismet yarns, a 100% cotton worked up in a hook size 5mm.  I find it interesting that the cream/natural does not split at all.  Hmm perhaps the splitting can be attributed to the dyeing process? 


This is all for now, enjoy your weekend! 


Oh, I couldn't resist -  this is what the more vibrant squares look like.

Cheers!





12 comments:

  1. good luck with all your papers and have fun with your new blanket!!!!!
    xxxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely squares. I do hope you visa arrives soon so you can fly off on your next adventure. Have a good weekend Magda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Magda! it's promissing so far! lovely colors, especially the 'global' square :) enjoy your weekend with making a square now and than....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow your future plans sound so exciting. I do hope that home affairs sort it all out. My family tells me it's pretty dreadful these days. Loving your squares and the colours. Yes I have exactly the same experience and I've our it down to dyeing. Enjoy your weekend and pamper sesh if you get there xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Magda,
    Good luck with the paper world! Love your squares, sweet colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wooow, I love your squares! Especially smitten with the white/blue ones... (Surprise surprise.) But like the vibrant one too!

    How terribly exciting to relocate. I hope you husband is settling in nicely already, I'm sure he is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your squares! And sounds like you are going to have an exciting time ahead of you. Hope you get papers and everything sorted soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your conjecture about the dyeing process affecting the amount of yarn splitting may have some merit.
    Last year I came up with a similar thought after a change in yarn colour seemed to affect the yarn weight and tension. I had been making hats, all with the same yarn and hook, all producing the same results and size, until I changed to a different colour of the same yarn. It was most peculiar because all of the other conditions were the same. I wonder whether others have had similar observations or whether there is someone well versed with yarn dyeing who can provide a possible explanation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know from listening to discussions that darker colours tend to make the yarn harder to the touch and also result in a thinner yarn, but would definitely like to know more too! Someone also mentioned that they perhaps used dyeing chemicals intended for wool on this cotton.

      Delete
  9. I wanted to type a small remark so as to say thanks to you for the unique ideas you are giving here. My incredibly long internet look up has at the end of the day been recognized with reliable knowledge to go over with my partners. I 'd repeat that most of us readers actually are unquestionably blessed to exist in a very good site with many perfect professionals with very helpful opinions. I feel very much happy to have used the website and look forward to really more awesome times reading here. Thanks once more for all the details.
    wholesale gifts and homewares

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello would you mind sharing which blog platform you're using? I'm planning to start my own blog soon but I'm having a difficult time deciding between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your layout seems different then most blogs and I'm looking for something unique. P.S My apologies for being off-topic but I had to ask!
    beach home decor wholesale

    ReplyDelete